This drug is an anti-retroviral, belonging to (NNRTI) Non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors class. It is one of the earlier drugs developed for the management of HIV.
MECHNISM OF ACTION
It inhibits the reverse transcriptase enzyme of the virus, which transcribes viral RNA to DNA, an important step in its reproduction.
Route of administration; ORAL
Half life; 45 hours
Excretion; Kidneys - <6%
Biliary - <5%
1. It is fairly effective in lowering viral load, especially when used in combination with other anti retroviral drugs.
2. It is relatively safe in children and can be used as prophylaxis to prevent hiv in children born to hiv positive mothers,
DOWN SIDE OF THE DRUG INCLUDES
1. The virus can easily develop resistance to it.
2. It is not effective against hiv type 2.
3. It has limitation in use in people with high cd4 count. it has been found that people with high cd4 count usually has higher rate of side effects, so it is mostly used for people with low cd4 count.
4. It has some dangerous and minor side effects.
Some dangerous side effects which must be reported to a doctor immediately include;
A. Liver disorder
B. Allergic reactions
C. Serious skin reactions
D. Immune reconstitution syndrome
Liver disorder should be suspected if there is;
a. yellowness of eyes
b. generalised itching
c. unusual tiredness
d. pain at right upper abdomen
g. very poor appetite
h. very ill feeling
Allergic reactions are usually immediate and are characterized by ;
sudden generalized rashes
difficulty in breathing
swelling of lips and face
Skin reactions are common with this drug. some are mild, but if a rash seems to be getting worse with time, while on this drug, with associated skin peeling, please report to your doctor immediately.
Immune reconstitution syndrome is when a persons weak immunity starts getting better and detects and overeacts to diseases that were already in the persons body. the symptoms may vary widely, however, if a symptom one used to have before seems to have started getting worse after a while on the drug, please report to your doctor.
Other minor side effects of nevirapine include;
These usually get better and stop with time.
N:B - PLEASE DO NOT STOP ANY ANTI - RETROVIRAL OR CHANGE DRUGS ON YOUR OWN. PLEASE INFORM YOUR DOCTOR AND OBEY HIS/HER INSTRUCTIONS.
FOR REACTIONS OR QUESTIONS CONTACT - [email protected], ASKDRVIC GROUP ON THIS SITE OR CALL +23408026139070.